Sewer connections

From filing your Section 106 application to making good after connecting to a public sewer, get your sewer connections in order with us.

Certified to connect to public sewers

It is illegal to connect to public sewers without permission from the local water authority. We can help with your applications to Anglian Water, Thames Water and Southern Water.

40+ years experience

We have a significant amount of experience that we can leverage when supporting you with your project, which can help save you time and money.

Free advice available

We’re happy to provide you with free advice, as well as a no-obligation quote to consider. We’re here to help. Send an e-mail or phone our office today to discuss your project.

Do you need to connect your drains to your nearest public sewer?

Getting your sewer connections in order is hugely important for preventing your property from causing environmental pollution, and ensuring any new developments meet building regulations.

Connect to a sewer network

Need to create a sewer connection? It’s not as hard as it may sound. You will first need to identify your nearest sewer. There are three ways you can do this.

Firstly, you can purchase a map from your local water authority, to show where their public sewers are located.

Secondly, you can use a digital resource such as Source for Searches, which will provide you with all recommended search reports – including drainage and water enquiries – throughout the country.

The third, and we would say most hassle-free, option is to use an expert third party such as ourselves, Premier Drainage Solutions. We are able to help you with your project from start to finish, identifying where your nearest sewer is, liaising with your local public water authority to organise your sewer connection, and then doing the physical connection itself on your behalf as a registered contractor.

Sewer Connections FAQs

What is the process for connecting my property to a sewer?

If you’ve never had to deal with drainage works before then you might be wondering what is involved in a sewer connection. We’ve tried to keep it really simple, and have broken the sewer connection process down into eight easy-to-understand stages. You can read all about it on our website here. From the asset search to the completion certificate, we’re here to help you through the entire process, making it all as quick and easy as possible.

Where does my sewage water go?

There are a few different types of sewers. Foul waste sewers carry waste from domestic appliances such as toilets, baths, showers and washing machines, to a sewage works for treatment. This water is contaminated, either through human contact and excrement, or through chemicals such as bleach, clothing detergent and cleaning products.

Generally, surface water sewers will carry rainwater from rooftops, driveways, roads and patios, back out to the local river, stream or soakaway. This water is considered ‘clean’ and therefore won’t cause pollution if it goes back into the environment. There are some instances where surface water will travel though some kind of interceptor before it is let back into the system – for example, a petrol station would ensure their rainwater travels through a petrol interceptor before it is released into the surface water main, or a large car park would ensure the surface water passes through an oil interceptor.

Finally, a combined sewer will carry both foul water and surface water (rainwater); this will need to be treated due to the foul water contaminating the surface water.

Can I have a combined foul and surface water connection?

The ideal scenario is to have separate sewer connections for foul water and surface water. If there is both a surface water sewer and foul water sewer in the local vicinity, then two separate connections should be made.

However, if there is no other alternative option, then it may be possible for surface water to be accepted into a public sewer. The type of connection you will be required to make will depend on the age of the sewer, as Victorian sewers have different rules due to their age and the fact they may be replaced sooner. You are responsible for demonstrating, through supporting evidence, to your local water authority that there are definitely no other alternatives when applying for a combined connection.

You will need to show that you cannot use the most common option for surface water drainage, which is a soakaway. Evidence that may be accepted includes results from a percolation test, an extract from your ground investigation report, or an e-mail or letter from Building Control. You will need to be able to prove that ground conditions do not allow the use of a soakaway, or that there isn’t a local watercourse for the water to drain into.

What is the difference between a direct and indirect connection?

As well as having two separate types of sewers (foul water and surface water), there are two different types of sewer connections.

The first is a direct connection, which is considered as any connection made to a public sewer.

The second is an indirect connection, which is any connection that goes to a private drain and then follows on from this to a public sewer. A private drain is considered to be an existing pipe that is only serving one property and exists within a property’s boundary.

What is a lateral sewer connection?

A lateral sewer connection is a length of pipe that carries waste water away from your property, directly to a sewer. It is commonly found outside the boundary of your property, often under a public pavement or road. Sometimes a lateral sewer connection might run under your property if you share a sewer with your neighbour.

How much does it cost to connect to a sewer?

Connecting your property to a public sewer system can vary depending on a variety of factors such as distance, the size of the sewer connection needed, what systems are already in place, and the types of drainage needed. Contact us on 01268 950050 for a competitive quote that is bespoke to your requirements. We are sewer connection specialists working in London, Essex, Hertfordshire, Kent, and beyond. We are approved contractors with Anglian Water, Thames Water and Southern Water.

The importance of using sewer connection specialists

When it comes to drainage and sewage connections, it’s important to ensure you are using specialists who know what they are doing. Only approved contractors are allowed to make connections to the main drains and public sewer networks. We also follow all the latest legislation, to ensure you meet all legal requirements and prevent you from incurring any issues with environmental pollution.

Why choose Premier Drainage Solutions?

Here at Premier Drainage Solutions, we believe in early contractor involvement, to help save you the maximum amount of time and money on your sewer connection project. We offer free advice on the best sewer connection method, as well as advising on the best time to carry out the connection works.

We can help take care of all the compliance paperwork, including:

  • Section 106 applications: Permission from the sewer provider to connect to the public sewer
  • Section 50 applications. Highways permission to place new apparatus in the highway (when installing lateral pipes from the development boundary to public sewer in the highway).

We understand that installing a sewer connection comes with a lot of legal requirements and complexity. However, we are here to help you through this process, and if you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact us

“The job went well, the men carrying out the works were great – as are the office staff. The extra works needed were dealt with swiftly and I am extremely happy with all aspects of Premier Drainage.”

Tracey Russ

Do you need assistance?


Find the answers to some of the most commonly asked questions.

Learn more

Find us

P4 Allen House Business Centre The Maltings, Station Road Sawbridgeworth Herts CM21 9JX

Google maps

Contact us

Discuss your project with a member of our head office team today.

Learn more

Contact us

Premier Drainage Solutions
P4 Allen House Business Centre
The Maltings, Station Road
Herts CM21 9JX

Request a call

Our charity

MSA Trust receives no government support and relies entirely on charitable donations to fund their support services as well as research into finding the cause and cure for multiple system atrophy (MSA).