Drainage is an essential aspect of any new build project. Detailed and careful drainage planning is crucial to ensure the end-product is safe, functional and adheres to the latest UK regulations and standards.
A well-designed and properly installed drainage system will help to protect buildings from water damage, reduce the risk of flooding in the site area, and ensure the buildings are safe and healthy for occupants.
Factors to consider when drainage planning for new build projects
There are a number of factors to consider when planning the drainage for a new build project, including:
- Location and size of the buildings: this will influence the type and size of drainage system required. For example, if the building is located in an area prone to heavy rainfall or flooding, the drainage system will need to be designed to handle large volumes of water.
- Local climate: if the building is located in an area with a high water table, the drainage system will need to be designed to prevent water from entering the building.
- Type of soil: if the soil is highly permeable, the drainage system will need to be designed to prevent water from entering the building.
- Existing pipework / existing sewer connections: if your project requires you to connect with a pre-existing drain/sewer, make sure the connection will need permission and it is wise to evaluate the connection with a CCTV survey before demolition.
- Surrounding water flow: Understanding the flow of water around your property and in which direction of travel it goes will greatly relieve issues. Knowing the amount of surface water properties will generate helps you to plan for where exactly the level of water needs to run off. Patios and driveways should run towards permeable ground.
- Future plans: A drainage system should always be planned for the long term and future proofed. This can be done by building with the correct capacity for future demands, particularly if there are plans for future construction. The addition of multiple access points can also create easier inspection and maintenance routes.
Drainage solutions for new build projects
There are a number of drainage solutions to consider for new build projects in the UK, including:
- Surface Drainage: this is used to manage water runoff on the surface of a building site. It is often used in conjunction with other drainage solutions, such as subsurface drainage, to ensure water is effectively managed and prevented from entering the building.
- Subsurface Drainage: is used to manage water that has penetrated the surface of a building site. It is often used in conjunction with surface drainage to ensure that water is effectively managed and prevented from entering the building.
- Sustainable Drainage Systems (SuDS): this is a newer method of channeling surface water through a series of pipes to a dedicated water source. It reduces environmental impact and preserves natural water bodies. It is highly recommended to incorporate SuDS in new build plans and in Wales it is compulsory.
The benefits of creating a drainage plan
Drainage is one of the first things to be completed in a build. Producing a high-quality plan of the drainage system is essential for permissions and efficient site development.
Why use CCTV drainage surveys in new build projects
When re-developing land with an existing public sewer connection, it’s important to opt for early contractor involvement with a CCTV survey to evaluate the connection before any demolition phase begins. The footage can then be used in the indirect connection application to the water authority if needed.
Why use a drainage contractor for new build projects?
Using a drainage contractor who specialise in the planning and implementation of proper drainage systems is vital for the success of any new build project. Drainage contractors have the necessary technical knowledge, experience, and equipment to properly assess the site and design a customized drainage solution to meet the specific needs of the project, ensuring compliance with local regulations and standards. Additionally, they can identify and address any potential problems or challenges before construction begins, avoiding costly delays and ensuring the effective functioning of the drainage system in the long term.
How can Premier Drainage help new build developers?
Working with us means benefitting from our 40+ years of industry experience and knowledge to fully support your drainage works from project design and planning to sign off. Our expertise means your project will run on budget and on time.
Contact us for a free quote.