Section 106 Applications: 5 things to know before you apply

If you’re building a new house or thinking of buying and renovating an existing property, you’ll want to know the ins and outs of a Section 106 Application.

Sewers are not the first things that spring to mind when thinking about your dream home or extending the house you live in, but don’t get caught out. If you need to connect to a public sewer, you must seek the permission of your local water authority. If you don’t receive their consent to connect and continue with your project, it’s classed as an offence under the Water Industry Act 1991. This means your local water authority can remove your connection and make you liable for any costs involved.

If that sounds difficult, don’t panic. PDS have over 40 years’ experience in drainage solutions and sewer connections in the South East, which means we can handle the paperwork, as well as the drainage work, for you.

In this guide, we’ll cover what’s important to know before you apply, but don’t forget to ask the experts when the time comes.

No time to read? Give us a call on 01268 950050 straight away and we’ll be happy to help.

Before applying for a Section 106 Agreement, you’ll need to know:

1. What Type of Sewer Connection you Need

The type of sewer connection depends on the job it’s going to do. Thames Water suggests these options:

  • Foul water sewer: carries wastewater from toilets, baths, showers, sinks, dishwashers, and washing machines.
  • Surface water sewer: carries rainwater from rooftops, roads, driveways, and paved areas.
  • Combined sewer: carries both foul water and surface water.
  • Trade sewer: carries wastewater from industrial premises.
  • Trunk and chemical sewers: usually only used in complex projects.

If you’re not sure what type of sewer connection your project needs, get in touch and we’ll help you figure it out.

2. The Location of the Sewer and Who Owns it

If you don’t already know the answer to this, there are three ways to find out:

  • A drainage specialist can give you advice on how to locate a sewer.
  • Access the sewer records at your local council.
  • Buy a sewer and utility map from your water authority.

Remember – connections can be made directly to a public sewer or indirectly through a private drain that discharges into a public sewer. If you need to lay your pipe through third party land, then you will need their permission as well as permission from the water authority.

3. The Paperwork for a Section 106 Application

Check with your local water authority as requirements may differ, but as a general guide you need to supply:

  • A detailed drainage plan in showing your entire site including all buildings, roads, sewers, drainage, and the proposed connection point.
  • A site location plan showing your site boundary within the surrounding area.
  • A copy of planning permission if relevant to your project.

You can prepare the plans yourself or save time by asking a drainage specialist to do it.

4. The Cost of a Section 106 Application

Again, costs vary depending on which local water authority you are applying to. Review their guidance and application processes online to make sure you’re absolutely clear about the cost.

5. Timings

Most people forget to factor in the correct amount of time it takes for the local water authority to review their application. Checking your project meets both their requirements and national specifications could take up to 21 days. You’ll also need to factor in time for an inspection of the work if you’re connecting directly to a public sewer or relocating a manhole. Once you receive approval, this has an average limit of two years before it runs out. So, if you are using an already approved project plan, make sure it is still in date.

Premier Drainage Solutions – Sewer Connection Specialists

We are approved contractors for Thames Water, Southern Water and Anglian Water. This means we have all the paperwork in order that a local water authority would need to see from a drainage contractor, such as: a health and safety policy, public liability insurance policy, quality assurance standards, details of previous sewer connection works, and confined space trained personnel for entering a manhole.

What is the best way to get a Section 106 Application done and dusted without any fuss? Leave it to the experts. Give the Premier Drainage Solutions team a call and we’ll talk you through the process: 01268 950050.

Do you need assistance?


Find the answers to some of the most commonly asked questions.

Learn more

Find us

P4 Allen House Business Centre The Maltings, Station Road Sawbridgeworth Herts CM21 9JX

Google maps

Contact us

Discuss your project with a member of our head office team today.

Learn more

Contact us

Premier Drainage Solutions
P4 Allen House Business Centre
The Maltings, Station Road
Herts CM21 9JX

Request a call

Our charity

MSA Trust receives no government support and relies entirely on charitable donations to fund their support services as well as research into finding the cause and cure for multiple system atrophy (MSA).